Saturday, July 14, 2012

Comic-Con: A Love Story


Dear Comic-Con,

I wish I could get over you, but every year it gets harder. You have all the things I love and almost all of the people I love. And this year, you tossed in a Firefly reunion panel and an exclusive Joss action figure. Why must you taunt me?! I'm a smart and adorable lady nerd, there is no reason the world shouldn't have given me Comic-Con tickets by now. I will even agree to an arranged marriage if that's what it takes. I have my own Muppet and lightsaber, and I can list all the Buffy episodes. What nerd wouldn't want to take me to San Diego with him?

I have tried to distract myself from you with intensity this weekend. Here is an incomplete list of failed tactics:
            I ate an insane amount of carbs in order to induce a food coma.
            I cleaned out my closet in a feverish rage.
            I did a lot of homework that isn’t due for a while.
            I ignored social media.
I glued myself to social media, trying to convince myself that Seth     Green’s Instagram feed was almost as good as being there!


I get it. I’ve made mistakes, we both have. I have trouble with superheroes and you, after all, let Twilight fans in. (And look how well that turned out for you – one of them died and got you all sorts of negative publicity.) I love you so much, SDCC. (Can I call you by your nickname now? I think we’re that close.) Please, please let me in someday.
Best wishes,

S.

1 comment: