Friday, August 13, 2010

I Was Wrong

That's not a huge shocking statement or anything; I'm not The Fonz or anything. However, when it comes to television characters, I rarely change my initial opinion. If I wanted to be pun-y, I could say I have a good judge of character. However, I was wrong when it comes to three specific characters, and I feel the need to own up to it, so here goes.

(WARNING: Spoilers Below)

Jack
When it comes to being wrong about characters, Jack is definitely the first that comes to mind. Mindy, I promise I'm not just saying that! When I first started watching LOST, I often found myself getting frustrated with Jack...always not wanting to push the button and being all paternal towards Kate. But then, LOST did something fairly epic. They made their characters human. By human, I mean they showcased the greatest and worst parts of humanity. The transformation of Jack as a character through the series was just amazing. I started having a change of heart in Season 4, and by the time The End rolled around, I was really surprised to remember how I felt about him at the beginning. I'm sorry, Jack. I'm also sorry, Mindy.
Jack also perfected Island stubble.
Kate
Oh, Kate. How little I cared about you. At the very beginning, I was intrigued. She was a fugitive on the run? Awesome. Then, she was the romantic lead. Is she better with Jack? Is she better with Sawyer? While I loved that she punched rather than slapped, I just found myself not caring about relationship Kate. She had so much promise to just be...the love triangle lady. Then came the final season. Suddenly, she wasn't about being with Jack or Sawyer, she was about finding Claire. She had a purpose, and it didn't involve a Y chromosome! She also took out Flocke. Awesome.
Faith
Moving away from LOST, my last unjustly judged character is undoubtedly Faith. When she slayed her way on to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", I was all, "Who are you, and what is this 'five by five' nonsense?!" Then she was all shooting poisonous, vampire-killing arrows at soulful vampires, and I was just done with her. I was okay with coma-Faith appearing in a few prophetic dreams, but I wasn't looking forward to her inevitable return or anything. Then, Riley happened. I was continually hoping that Riley would be eaten by a demon...or even better, that he would just leave on a Parker-esque note. Once Faith came back, my hatred of Riley made me see that she wasn't so bad. Then, her character transformation in "Angel" sealed it. Faith was an okay slayer in my book. By the time she returned in Season 7, I was actually happy to see her! As, long as she didn't bring Riley...

No comments:

Post a Comment