Thursday, August 5, 2010

Jamie's Nerdy Adventure in Cult Television


This will come as a major shock to everyone, I know, but I love television. I love it in a completely dependent, sad kind of way. I may not care that much about this "real life" that everyone is so obsessed with, but I do care about television. These feelings are intense, and while some might label them as "pathetic" I prefer to thinking of it as love. It's super healthy, I know. It's not just that I love watching television, but when I love it, I have to know everything about it. It's not as though all of the earth's oceans will dry up if I don't, but I really feel a nice level of satisfaction when I do know everything about it. This is especially true when it comes to cult television. All cult television viewers know the inevitable angst and heartache of watching a "cult classic". You know that the likelihood of a show's life being snuffed out at the hands of greed-centric grim reapers, otherwise known as network execs, is pretty high. Since I haven't said this in the last twelve hours, I should take this moment to say that I will never forgive NBC for killing Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip after it's inaugural season. I digress, there is something absolutely enthralling about cult television and the amount of dedication given to it by its followers. To have a television show that goes as far as musically scoring themes for its characters or including overarching literary themes to correspond with the unfolding plot stands far above the average sitcom. I have definitely loved many a sitcom over the years, but it doesn't influence my life in the same way. I mean, I love a good mushroom Swiss burger, a lot, but I never think of it the same way as I recall the first time I had pumpkin soup. Food obsessions are an entirely different story, though. My point here is that I love, appreciate, and swoon over cult television. This is why I am making it a goal to learn as much about it as I possibly can. Because I will explode with epic amounts of nerdoplasm if I don't share my newly gained information, I am going to share it here. I am both very excited and very sorry to unleash this all your way, Co-brarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment