Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Grandfathers of Pop Culture


Some people have TV boyfriends, but I have a list of people in pop culture who I wish were in my family. When my grandpa died in my toddler years, I tried to cheer my grandma up by suggesting she marry Mr. Rogers. (Soon afterwards, my plan was ruined when I realized he was married. Thanks, Mrs. Rogers.) Today, I'm discussing the reasons I love the grandfather types on my list.





1. Steve Martin - Oh, Steve. His Twitter posts are so delightful, they almost make me not despise Twitter. (That's impressive.) The Jerk is one of my most-watched films. Everything he does is hilarious.










2. Roger Ebert - It really concerns me that Ebert is so ill. When it comes to film reviews, I trust no one... except him. His negative reviews are often his best - he's not afraid to point out every ridiculous moment in a bad film.











3. Steve Jobs - To paraphrase Fake Steve: He invented the frigging iPhone. Have you heard of it? Steve Jobs makes my technological world go round. He's kind of a jerk, and I love him.
P.S. Thanks for taking that calligraphy class in college, Steve - OS X fonts are the greatest.









4. Bob McGrath - Bob from Sesame Street taught me about the people in my neighborhood, and how one of these things is not like the others. I hope he continues to hang out on Sesame Street for a very long time.







5. Ringo Starr - He's not the prettiest Beatle. He's not the most talented Beatle. He's not the most successful Beatle, either. He IS my favorite Beatle. Look at his honking cute nose! It's Muppet-like! His harmonica skills are underrated, too.










6. Carroll Spinney - The Muppeteer behind Oscar the Grouch and Big Bird gets my vote, because he's not obnoxiously happy 100% of the time. There may or may not be other, irritating Muppeteers like that... I can't imagine how Sesame Street will replace him.










7. John Cleese - See here.

No comments:

Post a Comment